Movie Review: “Horton Hears a Who”

horton_hears_a_who_-copy.jpgAlong with the good hearted laughs it provides to audiences of all ages, “Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who”, has something more to offer. The beauty of this movie, based on Dr. Seuss’ children’s book, is that it has a moral.

Not just a moral, but one that can be taken in and valued by adults and children of all ages: “A person is a person, no matter how small.”

We all have read Dr. Seuss when we were kids and maybe even to our children now, and there’s just something about him that makes his books stand out among the many others that seem to get lost in the sea of attempted lessons. For kids, Dr. Seuss is unmistakable.

As young adults, we can remember him distinctly. There’s something very alternative about him. Dr. Seuss is like the rock ‘n’ roll of children’s books. This animated movie is no exception to the distinguished style that can only be described as Dr. Seuss.

Jim Carey provides the voice for Horton, the open-minded elephant who hears a voice on a spec and is opened to a whole new world that we later find out is known as Whoville. Horton sticks by the voice that he hears and vows to find the spec a safe place to sit despite disapproval from the other animals.

The character of Horton is a breath of fresh air for our instant gratification driven world. It’s a reminder that although sometimes we may get caught up, the world doesn’t revolve around us. Carey gives likeability with his sillyness that we can all welcome.

Steve Carell, who gives the voice of the mayor of Whoville, also graces the movie with the humor the story deserves. Carell’s character also offers a lesson for us grown-ups as he struggles to break with convention.

Coming from a long line of mayors, the major of Whoville struggles to save the citizens of Whoville and goes against the old-fashioned judges of the town by telling of the spec’s fate and putting his trust in Horton. Another struggle the mayor faces is in connecting with his son, an issue many adults face today.

Among all the laughs this movie provides, which in itself is pure entertainment for audiences, “Horton Hears a Who” offers a great lesson that we can all appreciate, something Dr. Seuss has somehow managed to accomplish through many of his beloved “rock ‘n’ roll” children’s books. I give the movie 9 out of 10 stars for showing Dr. Suess’ story the respect it deserves.