Voice of Rev’s entertainment news hopes to be positive role model

nevaespinosa41.jpgFor Neva Espinosa, the opportunities that Rev 89 offers are more than just a privilege.

“If we reach a certain audience then I think it’s our obligation to have something meaningful to say,” Espinosa said.

For Espinosa, 31, having a voice is something she considers very important in her life. After receiving her Associate’s Degree from Pueblo Community College, Espinosa decided that once she got her three kids, who are now 13, 11, and 9, off to school then she would go back.

This is Espinosa’s first semester with Rev and her first semester at CSU-Pueblo.

Espinosa said considers her age as both an advantage and a disadvantage at Rev. She said since she’s working with college-aged people, she really has to do her research for the different artists and music that Rev features. But at the same time, she said that she sees things that some of the other’s don’t because of the experience she’s had.

Espinosa does the news blurbs for the station throughout the day, which features entertainment news. She is also part of the panel of the Talk the Talk radio show, which is a talk show that discusses current events in Pueblo and other issues that affect us. She said that lately they’ve been discussing a lot of politics since we are in the midst of such a historical election.

Espinosa said she hopes to see herself landing in an opinion-based arena but wants to be able to build her reputation to where her opinion is more meaningful. Television is her ultimate goal, because she said it would allow her to be even more expressive with her body-language and facial expressions.

Espinosa said that she considers Rev an amazing opportunity for students to get a lot of great experience. She said that the station is run differently than any other station probably in the state in that it emulates commercial radio in a non-profit setting.

Espinosa, who describes herself as opinionated and someone who challenges everything, said she hopes to be a positive role model for listeners.

“My favorite thing about Rev is that our audience is so young, and I think they need the most direction,” she said.

Espinosa certainly said she hopes to be able to give them that direction.

“I try to leave something positive in everything I say on air,” she said. 

Espinosa said that even if it’s just a short be safe, be kind, or make good choices, she feels that it’s her responsibility to say something meaningful.

“I guess that’s the mother in me,” Espinosa said.

She also said she wants young people to know that this platform is there for them to use if they want it. She said that Rev is a great opportunity to get her voice heard, and wants others to know that they’re just as capable of having theirs heard as well.

A Pueblo native, Espinosa said that she doesn’t want to give in to the negative stereotypes that the city gets. She also said that she thinks being from Pueblo gives her voice more credibility when talking to Puebloans. She said she wants people to be able to think of Pueblo’s positives, including this school.

It’s obvious that Espinosa has a lot to say, and she said wants to go one step beyond that and make her voice positive, because it is her responsibility as a broadcaster.