Beer Review: Samuel Adams White Ale

br-whiteale.jpgHey everyone. Welcome back? My names Eric, I drink beer, and I’m just as disgruntled about Spring Break being over as you are. Let’s talk about it.

Yes, Spring break, that one week of the year when all bets are off, a special week where students and teachers alike get to forget about all the grading and homework and all the stressful garbage that goes with it.

Some people use their free time to take trips to Cancun to get hammered, some like to visit relatives in far away states, and some people use the free time to catch up on all the crap they should’ve got done earlier in the month. I fall in the latter category. As they say, there’s no rest for the wicked.

Save your pity! I managed to squeeze in some fun and a couple of beers when I wasn’t working. I picked up a six pack of Samuel Adam’s White Ale, a spring seasonal that was recommended by a good friend of mine. 

When poured in my favorite Bronco’s pint glass, the beer was a hazy orange color with a frothy white head. White ale’s, or whitbiers, are unfiltered when processed, so they always have that cloudy consistency to them. I bet you’re glad you know that now.

Smell wise, it was pretty nondescript beyond a slight hint of wheat and citrus. There’s nothing complex at all with this one.

The taste of this beer was like sweet wheat bread with a lemon peel kick to it. Hints of citrus flavors and hops came out in the aftertaste, but they weren’t overpowering in any way. It’s refreshing and easy on the stomach. This is the kind of beer you would drink on a park bench while watching your kids play soccer or maybe after mowing a lawn.

I’m not a huge fan of seasonal spring ales, I’ll admit, but this one wasn’t too bad. There wasn’t anything incredibly special about it, but nothing bad either. Samuel Adams White Ale runs about $7.99 a six pack, so it’s a little bit pricey, but if you’re looking for something to quench that lazy day spring thirst, you should give it a shot.

Samuel Adams White Ale gets a 3 out of 5.