CSU-Pueblo hosts Tri-Beta Regional Conference

20080407_tribeta-copy.jpgCSU-Pueblo’s chapter of Tri-Beta sponsored the regional conference Friday, April 4 and Saturday, April 5 in which eight other Colorado schools participated in undergraduate research projects.

Students prepared oral and poster presentations explaining their research in biology.

The other schools attending were Adams State College, Trinidad State Junior College, Colorado School of Mines, University of Colorado, Denver, University of Northern Colorado, United States Air Force Academy, Western State College, Mesa State College, and Colorado State University-Pueblo.

Student poster presentations were on display in the Life Sciences building from 8:45 until 10:30 a.m. Judging for the poster projects began at 10:30 a.m. and went until 11:30 a.m.

Oral Presentations took place in the Chemistry building beginning at 8:40 a.m. Each student prepared a 15 minute presentation explaining their research and was allowed five minutes for questions.

An awards banquet took place at The Union Depot, 132 W. B Street, from 6 to 9 p.m.
    Winners of the regional competition qualify for the national competition in Kentucky at the end of May, Kristi Blasingame of CSU-Pueblo’s Chapter of Tri-Beta said. Winners of the national competition receive a stipend to fund their continued research.

Tri-Beta is a society for biology students that is dedicated to helping students understand and appreciate biological study. The society was founded in 1922 at Oklahoma City University. Later the society was divided into regional and district groups. Each group holds a convention nationally.

Students participating from CSU-Pueblo were Carrie Tucker, Amy Uhernik, Crystal Fernandez, and Taiga Inoue.