• The Creative Experience - coming to Fuel & Iron Food Hall from 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. Thursday 6/27. Join us for an evening of poetry, art, and music!

John Adams Unbound art exhibit hosted by CSU-Pueblo library

Colorado State University-Pueblo’s university library will host an art exhibit in the spring.

The “John Adams Unbound” exhibit will be presented in the Occhiato University Center March 5, 2010. There will also be a colonial-themed dinner served and a performance by Bill Chrystal. The display is a panel exhibit featuring former founding father and historical figure John Adams and his collection of more than 3,000 books.

Julie Fronmueller, assistant professor for library services, said the exhibition is based off a quote from the “Diary of John Adams,” “Fame, fortune, Power are some, are the Ends intended by a library. The service of God, Country, Clients, Fellow men, say others. Which of these lie nearest to my heart?’”

The art display will be moved to the Hoag Hall foyer from March 7 through April 15, 2010, for people to view it. An opening for the display will be March 12 in the Hoag Hall foyer, which will present historians and authors Margaret Hogan and Woody Holton. This will be a free event open to the public.

Fronmueller said people should see the exhibition because it could educate them about colonial history. She said the exhibition will include pieces like the Boston Massacre case along with other works that are done by Adams.

She said the panels feature different aspects of his life. Former President Adams used to be things such as a lawyer, politician and also a student.

Fronmueller also said it is an opportunity for people to learn about Adams and what his thoughts were as he collected books.

“Each panel features a different part of his collection and why he collects the books,” she said. “It also shows what he wrote in the margins of the books.”

Fronmueller said the gallery was organized by the Boston Public Library (BPL) and American Library Association Public Programs office. She said the curator of the book collection, Beth Prindle from the Boston Public Library, based it on themes about why Adams collected books.

“The only way you would see these books and learn about them is if you actually went to the Boston Public Library,” Fronmueller said.

Pictures of the display are on johnadamslibrary.org.

For information about the exhibition, contact Fronmueller at 719-549-2826 or [email protected].