King and queen candidates kick-off Homecoming Week

The CSU-Pueblo homecoming kick-off event was held from Monday, Sept. 27 in the Great Hall in the Occhiato University Center.

The event gave students the chance to meet the homecoming king and queen candidates, and learn about the homecoming activities this week.

This year’s homecoming, “Stay True to the Red and Blue,” is sponsored by the Office of Student Activities and the CSU-Pueblo Alumni Association, and will be celebrated through various activities throughout the week.

Homecoming King, Eddie Watson, and Queen, Jazmine Wells, from 2009 provided by the TODAY photo achieves. Photo by DaMarkus James

Cristianna Lopez, 19, a psychology major and student employee of the OSA, said the week will be full of fun activities and will finish with the Homecoming game against Chadron State on Saturday, Oct. 2, where the king and queen will be announced at halftime

Lopez also spoke about what makes a worthy candidate.

“A good candidate gives up their time and effort to make the school a better place,” Lopez said, “as well as presents themselves as a good role model for students and the community.”

The students running for 2010 Homecoming Queen are Normandy Fernandez, a junior psychology major; Karinda de Ana, a graduate student majoring in business management; Aimee Stilson, a sophomore majoring in health promotion wellness; Ashley Lasoya, a junior majoring in accounting; and Daisy Mendoza, a junior Spanish major.

Students who are running for homecoming King are Rafael Elliott, a junior biology major; Adam Herrera, a junior majoring in sociology and criminology; and Cam McDonald, a sophomore accounting major.

Students read the candidates’ biographies and spoke to some of the candidates at the event. Some candidates campaigned and spoke with students about why they should be king or queen; others gave out candy and waved signs promoting themselves.

The candidates are required to attend all the homecoming events this week and the OSA encourages them to mingle and socialize with students at the events, Lopez said.

Nominees were required to be a full-time student in their second year of school, and have a 2.5 grade point average.

The requirements to be nominated were that they had to be a full-time student in the at least their second year of school and have a 2.5 grade point average or higher.  They were either nominated by peers or self-nominated. 

The qualifying students submitted a petition signed by at least 50 students and filled out a packet to be considered as a candidate. They were then interviewed by a panel of OSA representatives, where they were asked to tell more about themselves, Lopez said.

The candidates serve as king and queen for one year and will be replacing Jazmine Wells and Eddie Watson, last year’s king and queen.

Lopez said the OSA encourages all students to vote and participate in the Homecoming Week activities.

“Students should vote because it’s a way to voice their opinion about who they think should represent them,” Lopez said.

Voting for homecoming queen and king will be held on Thursday, Sept. 30, in the OUC Great Hall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Alumni and current students are welcome to attend all Homecoming events.  For more information about Homecoming Week call 719-549-2151.

The Homecoming Week activities are as follows.

Wednesday, Sept. 29
    -Staff/Student Games, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Student Recreation Center

Thursday, Sept. 30
    -King and Queen Elections, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., OUC Great Hall

-Alumni/Community Event at HARP, former student-athlete reunion. Pizza, drinks at Angelo’s, $10 per person, (family price of $20 for 2 adults, 2 children under 12), 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. free boat rides along HARP with jazz artist Carlos Crull, RSVP to 549-2858.

-Wolf Idol, 6-10 p.m., OUC Ballroom

Friday, Oct. 1

Pig Roast/Pep Rally, 6 p.m., Residence Hall Oval

Bonfire, 7 p.m., Behind Hasan Amphitheatre

Saturday, Oct. 2
    Coffee & Donuts/Alumni & Community Walking Tours of Campus, 9 a.m., OUC Patio

Parade, 11 a.m. line up, Noon start, Massari Arena

Alumni and Community Tailgate Party, noon, red tent near stadium

Football Game vs. Chadron State (NE), 2 p.m., ThunderBowl

Post-game tailgate, following the game

Royalty Dance, 8 p.m., OUC Ballroom