Pueblo collects books for children

The CSU-Pueblo has started their sixth annual Bring a Kid a Book book drive in order to donate books to children. The drive will last until Christmas Eve.

Photo courtesy of westoahu.hawaii.edu.

The Teacher Education Association and Teacher Education programs have ask concerned citizens, educators and businesses to partner with them to deliver books to the children of Pueblo. The donations will go to “children whom for whatever reason, do not come from homes where books are readily available,” according to the TE program.

The BAKAB will aim to place donation boxes throughout areas in Pueblo and up through Denver. At these locations, the TEA and TE program will look for people to donate books, however, they will accept monetary donations if people in the area cannot donate books.

In past years, the BAKAB drive has been able to raise nearly 8,200 books. With this amount, books have been given to every child attending seven different elementary schools in Pueblo at the time, according to the TE program.

In addition to elementary schools, other organizations will receive donations as well. Amongst them are the Young Women’s Christian Association, Children’s Advocacy Center, Colorado Public Defenders Office-Pueblo and the Junior League.

The TE program values the importance of helping children become literate individuals, according to the program. It teaches that good educators are well read, and that providing these books will meet the needs of the children in Pueblo, according to the program.

For this year’s drive, the goal is to raise about 2,500 books, said Erica Whittemore, a member of the TEA program.

It will also aim to provide books to Pueblo school districts 60 and 70. If the amount of donations received exceeds the needs of these two districts, then the surplus will go to any high-need schools or organizations that serve the needs of children, according to Whittemore.

Currently, the drive has 10 locations set up where people can go to donate books throughout Pueblo.

“These locations will be accepting new or gently used books for the drive,” Whittemore said. 

After the completion of the BAKAB book drive, books will be delivered after the winter break.

More information about the drive can be found by calling Margie Massey, the BAKAB book drive contact, at 719-549-2257.