“Iron Man” strong as steel

ironman.jpgMarvel has done it again. Grossing $100 million its first weekend, the film “Iron Man” lived up to the lofty expectations set by previous Marvel films.

The Spiderman and X-Men trilogies wowed audiences with their storylines and special effects, and “Iron Man” kept the Marvel reputation intact.

“Iron Man,” starring Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow, is about a billionaire, weapons engineer (Tony Stark) who built war time missiles and was kidnapped by terrorists in the Middle-East.

While being held prisoner, he built a suit of armor, instead of building his captors a specialized missile. The suit of armor leads him to a way to escape from prison.

After Downey’s character is free, he learns that his missiles are being used for things other than national security and halts the production of the weapons. This decision provides conflict in the movie.

Downey is perfect for the role because of his comedic timing is impeccable, along with Paltrow’s comedic presence, and their chemistry electrifies the screen.

Terrence Howard gives energy to the role of a high-ranking officer in the military and makes the role seem more easy-going than some other actors in the past. Thus, he is awesome.

The movie goers are given the opportunity to see what it’s like inside Iron Man’s uniform which contributes to the special effects of the film. The movie’s overall look and feel is very futuristic.

It is speculated the technology Downey’s character used in the film actually exists.

The only downside to the film, is that it seems to follow the same story lines as the other Marvel movies. Hero is not good enough, hero gets cool outfit and new powers, hero finds out his enemy is someone he is close to, and the rest is known. I think a little deviation from the norm would be refreshing.

Though the story line is quite similar to the others, one thing still stands; Marvel knows how to make a winner.