One step closer to new rec center director

The Division of Student Life and Development interviewed candidates for the Director of the Student Recreation Center on campus.

The Director of the Student Recreation Center is responsible for the management and operation of the University’s new 50,000 square feet Student Recreation Center, and affiliated programs, and shall provide the vision and leadership to develop and manage a comprehensive recreation program.

The interviews took place on campus and were open to CSU-Pueblo students and colleagues.

The interviews focused on how the director of the new student recreation center will face several challenges. CSU-Pueblo is putting together a completely new department including: creating a new budget, establishing a new staff, preparing the new facility, creating operational guidelines, writing policies, hiring students and purchasing equipment, according to Baird.

The first interviewee was Wayne Morford of Creighton University. Morford has a bachelor’s degree in leisure services, a master’s degree in college student personnel services, and ten years experience as director of a large campus recreation department at Creighton University.

The second interviewee was Jack Krider of Fort Lewis College. Krider has a bachelor’s degree in recreation and a master’s degree in sports administration, as well as 13 years experience in campus recreation.

The candidates were asked if there were some personal attributes, national trends, or innovative ideas they would use to shape the operation of their area. Baird also asked them what their big-picture vision for the department would be.

Baird said she hopes the director will serve as visionary leader within Student Life, facilitating partnerships with campus divisions, particularly academic affairs, to provide students with vibrant experiential opportunities that enhance student’s fitness and wellness, knowledge, personal skills, and enjoyment.