Kill your summer-time boredom

audrey_photo_edited.jpgNow that the stress of the spring semester is over and summer is finally here most of us are probably spending our time resting and recuperating but may I suggest taking advantage of the beautiful outdoor sites we have available to us here in Colorado.

Most of us take for granted the fact that we live in a state with such aesthetic qualities. States to the east of us like Kansas and Nebraska aren’t so fortunate and only see flat prairies, here in Pueblo we are just several minutes or a couple hours away from picturesque mountain sites and fun outdoor activities that will make your summer worthwhile.

Just a stone’s throw away here in Pueblo is the nature center and the Pueblo Reservoir. The Reservoir offers a convenient place to spend the day fishing without having to account for drive time and the nature center is full of walking or biking trails with great scenery as you go. A day pass for the Reservoir or nature center is just $6 per vehicle.

About 45 minutes to an hour southwest of Pueblo is the San Isabel national forest which features a small mountain town, a lake, and camp grounds. If you enjoy fishing, you can do some fishing on the lake and even if you’re not it’s a beautiful spot to just take a walk around the lake or a hike up the mountainous areas.

If you’re in the mood for some exercise, Seven Falls in Colorado Springs features seven individual waterfalls down 181 feet of Pikes Peak Granite. A day pass for an adult is $9. The site also features lighting down the path at night for just $10.50.

The site also has an express elevator to take you to the top if you get tired so that everyone can enjoy the view from the top. Colorado Springs is just about an hour north of Pueblo.

Also in Colorado Springs is the place to go when the summer heat is too much for you. Cave of the Winds is located in the hills above Manitou Springs. The site offers two different tours through the cave.

One is the Discovery tour, which basically just takes the groups through most of the cave. There is also the lantern tour, which lets guests tour the cave like the early discoverers did. The discovery tour is $18 for adults and the Lantern tour is $22 for adults.

If you would like to venture a little farther north, Colorado’s biggest water park is just two hours away in Denver. Waterworld cost $33.95 for adult admission but the price goes down to $17 at 2 p.m. Waterworld offers a large amount of water attractions and rides to cool off from the heat of summer.

So this summer when you get a chance to really get a break on your vacation from school, use it enjoying some of the great summer activities that we are lucky enough to have so close by.