Dark Knight proves intriguing thrill ride

batman_the_dark_knight_movie_poster_why_so_serious.jpgThe latest installment in the Batman movies, The Dark Knight, is on three screens in the Pueblo Tinseltown Theatre.

The nearly three hour movie stars Christian Bale as Batman, with the late Heath Ledger playing the Joker.

The plot is extremely absorbing, and full of twists and turns, including the conversion and destruction of a good man into the arch-villain Two-Face, played by Aaron Eckhart of Thank you for Smoking.

Christian Bale is very convincing as a sophisticated, super high tech Bruce Wayne, but it is Heath Ledger in his final performance as the Joker which is mesmerizing.

The perhaps corny roll of the clown faced Joker is transformed into a chilling, disturbing psychopath who spouts convincing social commentary of complete anarchy.

The death of Heath Ledger in January 2008 is somehow more painful as he proves yet again how brilliant an actor he is.
    The impressive cast includes Maggie Gyllenhaal, who plays the tragic love interest of both Batman and Two-Face, with Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman as Bruce Wayne’s right hand men.

The Dark Knight was both written and directed by Christopher Nolan and is a sequel to 2005’s Batman Begins.
    The Pueblo audience was so impressed that there was applause as the credits rolled during the end of a matinee showing.