Students urged to vote

Your vote could determine who is in here for the next four years. Photo courtesy of mourgefile.com
    The last day to register to vote for the 2012 presidential elections is Oct. 9. Elections will be held Nov. 6.

Associated Students’ Government hosted a campus wide voter registration event on Sept. 25. “I was not really in charge of that event but I think they talked to a lot of people,” said Logan Gogarty, President of ASG.

“No one actually registered to vote with them,” said Gogarty, “Clearly this was less than they had hoped for.”

The best place where students can register is at www.rockthevote.com added Gogarty.

Rock the Vote has registered more than 5 million young Americans in the last 21 years.

Rock the Vote’s website says “[They] use music, popular culture, new technologies and grassroots organizing to motivate and mobilize young people in our country to participate in every election.”

Students have to meet three requirements to be eligible to vote.

“Students must be 18 or older, a US citizen, and a resident of the precinct they are registering in,” said Elizabeth Steele, manager of Just Vote! Colorado Election Protection.

Students who are from out of state can still register to vote in the state of Colorado as long as they make an affirmation on their voter registration that they intend to stay in Colorado, added Steele. No evidence needs to be provided that they are a resident.

If students who have already registered to vote wish to change information on their registration, the best way to do so is through www.govotecolorado.com said Steele.

After registering for the first time, it is possible that students will have to send a photocopy of an ID if they are voting with a mail-in ballot.

Identification is required of all voters in the state of Colorado if voting at a polling place. A student ID issued by the university is an acceptable form of identification as long as it includes a photo said Steele.

In the 2008 presidential election, it was estimated a record 23 million young Americans voted. According to The Center for Information and Research on Civil Learning and Engagement, this was more than a 3 million increase from the 2004 presidential election.

“It is not clear if this election will be a record breaker,” said Steele, “but we really hope so.”

Past elections show that young voters are the least to get involved in politics, with 2008 being the exception. Tayler Thomas, president of the political science club at CSU-Pueblo believes there are many reasons for students to register to vote.

“Its important for college students to be engaged in politics because there are many issues that impact them like financial aid, gender equality and policies affecting future employment,” said Thomas.

“If you don’t vote, elected officials feel no responsibility to listen or care about issues that affect your daily life. By choosing not to vote you silence yourself,” Thomas added.