Sunday’s Car Show

carshow1.jpg

Joddy Carbajal of J C Entertainment said he has been doing concerts for about five years now and has recently joined the car club. He wanted to do a car show and just put two and two together for this event. J C Entertainment and Nothing Else Matters Car Club had their first annual car show and concert last Sunday.

The event took about five weeks to put together and featured car clubs from Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Denver and Alamosa, including Sweet Dreams and Rollers Only, Carbajal said.

Prizes were given out for first, second and third place in various categories including low riders, bomb truck and car, hot rod, luxury, SUV, low-rider bike and more. Silent judges make the final call, so participants have no way of knowing who is picking them, and therefore can not sway the vote, Carbajal said.

He had a car in the show himself, a black 1978 Monte Carlo. But he said he couldn’t enter it in the contest because he was the one handling the show.

Aside from a parking lot full of decked-out cars, the car show had much more to offer than just cars to look at. The show was held at Bootleggers, so people could go in and quench their thirst or get some food in air-conditioned comfort. There was also a family-run food tent offering fresh grilled hamburgers or hot dogs, chips and drinks.

Then there was the entertainment factor. Big Gemini was a big crowd-pleaser. Before he came on, there were the rap wars. Good, old fashioned battle-rapping, complete with multiple rounds and the audience chose the winner. The third place winner was Koon, who was chosen before Kast One’s performance.

After the audience chose the third place winner, the rappers battled for first place. Imagine a classic battle between Eminem and Dr. Dre; actually their names were Big Reep and Truth. It was a tough decision, but ultimately Truth won.

Big Gemini performed to an excited crowd and everyone seemed happy when he said he’d be signing autographs in the adjoining room.

Carbajal said he has plans for another car show by J C Entertainment in the future, possibly for Cinco de Mayo, as well as small concerts.