Ways to keep busy for Thanksgiving break

Many people look forward to Thanksgiving as a time to head home and spend time with friends and family, not everyone has this opportunity however.

Luckily, for those individuals stuck in Pueblo this Thanksgiving there are plenty of ways to kill time. One such event is the 5k Turkey Trot/Run. The philanthropic race is put on annually by the YMCA of Pueblo and is a great way to ease the guilt often associated with a gluttonous Thanksgiving dinner.

According to the YMCA’s Turkey Trot brochure, “all proceeds from the event support children and families in our community by allowing them the opportunity to participate in YMCA programs and services that they otherwise woul

You’ll want to find another activity to occupy your time during break besides eating turkey. Photo courtesy of morguefile.com.
    d not be able to afford.”

The race will be held on Thanksgiving Day, and starts at 9:00 am.

Registration is $30 per person and includes a shirt. For advance registration visit www.puebloymca.org. Race day registration starts at 7:00 a.m.

Age brackets are 0-12, 13-15, 16-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59 and 60+. Refreshments will be served in the YMCA lobby immediately after the race. Awards are given to the two fastest finishers in each age bracket. For more information, email Lindsay Newton at [email protected] or call 719-543-5151 ext. 213.

Not everyone may be interested in starting off Thanksgiving with a vigorous run. If you are
    still looking for a philanthropic way to invest your time without running almost three miles, the Wayside Cross Gospel Rescue Mission is offering an acceptable alternative. The Wayside Cross Gospel Rescue Mission holds its annual Great Thanksgiving Day Banquet and is looking for a minimum of 50 volunteers for the event.

According to the Wayside Cross Gospel Rescue Mission’s website, the annual Great Thanksgiving Day Banquet is a “full dinner for the community,” which is served from 11:00 a.m. -1:30PM and it has well over 500 in attendance each year. The mission is looking for volunteers for others days as well, including Thanksgiving week.

According to the mission’s website, waysidecrossmission.org, volunteer cooks arrive at 4:00 p.m., finish by 7:00 p.m. and are welcome to sit down and eat with the residents when they finish.

Not leaving your bedroom over break is another option, and a reasonable one after a hectic semester. For those looking to veg out and not move a muscle, there are three newly released video games waiting for you.

Halo 4 for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 has received numerous positive reviews. The series was revisited by 343 Industries after the franchise’s original designer, Bungie, parted ways with Microsoft. For the game being the fourth installation in the series, it is almost a new experience, having spent a few hours playing the game myself I would recommend it.

Another option for gamers is Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. This game has also received praise in its reviews. Unlike Halo 4, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is available for Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U, and Playstation 3.

Regardless of how you end up spending your Thanksgiving break, there is one thing that you should make certain to do; enjoy a week off and rest up. There is only one more week of class left and then finals, so enjoy a much needed break and get ready to finish strong.