CD Review: Early Prayers by Tomorrow’s Bad Seeds

Tomorrow’s Bad Seeds, a Los Angeles-based five-piece band, combines the different sounds of punk, reggae, rock, soul and hip-hop into one diverse and highly original offering.

Their debut CD, Early Prayers, was released in 2007 on UrbanTone Records.

The band consists of Moises Juarez on lead vocals, Sean Chapman on vocals and guitar, Mathew McEwan on vocals and guitar, John McEwan on drums, and Al Arnado on bass.

The band formed in 2003 and aggressively started performing in the South Bay Los Angeles music scene, quickly developing an avid following among the surf, skate and beach crowd.

This CD project, Early Prayers, is an interesting blend of the genres, incorporating time-tested tones and sounds with new lyrics and melodies.

The band flows seamlessly between playing straight up-and-down rock to playing reggae rhythms, which makes one think of blue water, surf and islands, to the urban sounds of hip-hop and soul.

One thing that was distracting was some of the song writing. All the songs were written by members of the band (the CD does not elaborate on which members wrote the songs). Something the song writers should consider is not referencing the band in the songs themselves.

Numerous times in many of the songs the phrase “Tomorrows Bad Seeds” was incorporated heavily into the lyrics. Most of the time it seemed as though these references did not make much sense in the context of the song. As previously mentioned, this introverted aspect of the song writing became rather distracting.

The themes of the songs are not new. Sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll all figure prominently into the music and lyrics. This band primarily is going to appeal to an older listening crowd, high school age at least, so those themes should not be a huge problem.

However, the buyer should beware that this CD does contain obvious references to drug use and has some profanity.

Overall, this is an enjoyable product. The actual performance of the music is at a journeyman level; the instrumental and vocal performances probably will not make you weep and burn all your Eric Clapton or Stevie Wonder records.

The originality of the combination of genres these players have compiled is admirable. This band is obviously creative and has a fresh take on popular music.

The band made a stop in Pueblo at Smitty’s Greenlight Tavern on September 24th. If you didn’t get a chance to catch that show then you should check out their MySpace page and web site, www.tomorrowsbadseeds.com, for additional concert information.

If you like rock, reggae, hip-hop, soul or punk, then you will more than likely find something in Tomorrows Bad Seeds music that will draw you in and keep you engaged through the entire performance.