Music department chair to retire at the end of the spring semester

Jennifer Shadle-Peters
    Dr Jennifer Shadle-Peters says Goodbye to the Music Department and hello to the priesthood. Courtesy of chass.colostate-pueblo.edu

The Colorado State University- Pueblo music department will be experiencing change in the upcoming academic year, as Jennifer Shadle-Peters announced her retirement after this semester.

According to Shadle-Peter’s faculty biography, before coming to CSU-Pueblo, she taught for 11 years at McKendree College in Lebanon, Ill. She earned her bachelor of music and Master of Arts degrees from Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas, and her Ph.D. from Saint Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.

She taught general and choral music in Texas and Illinois before turning her attention to teaching at the collegiate level, where she has specialized in applied vocal music, music history and music education.

Shadle-Peters came to CSU-Pueblo in August 2005. While at CSU-Pueblo, she has directed the music education degree program, taught music methods courses, supervised student teachers and built an active liaison with music teachers in Pueblo and nearby school districts.

“I’ve known her since I started here in 2008. She has always been the mother figure, nurturing and wise,” Tamra Axworthy, administrative assistant, said.

“With all the changes the campus community has faced in recent years, it’s been good to have a solid, good hearted, patient leader to guide the department,”  Axworthy said.

As a teacher, Shadle-Peter’s experience with children and love of music, have made her indispensable. She has a way to include fun techniques in her education courses and aural skills courses that students can take with them to their own classrooms upon graduation, Axworthy said.

“She is respected and loved by the students and faculty of the department and across campus. She will be missed,” Axworthy said.

“I’m sad to see her go I think she’s done a fantastic job in her tenure as department chair,” Amanda Kuhns, 23, junior, music major said.

“No, it doesn’t have anything to do with burnout or feeling entitled to put my feet up and relax — in fact, I suspect I’ll be doing much less of that than I do now,” Shadle-Peters said.

Shadle-Peters will be missed, but she is not retiring to travel across Europe, or to ski the Swiss Alps.

Shadle-Peters is also known as a Postulant for the Priesthood in the Episcopal Church.

“Postulants are generally individuals who have been given the Bishop’s approval and are in the education process necessary before they become ordained. I’m about to start a three year graduate program,” Shadle-Peters said.

The search for a new department chair has already started, as Mark Hudson, professor of music, is chairing the search committee in search of a new chair of the department.

Many good applicants have applied for the position already, but no decision has been made, Hudson said.

He anticipates a decision to be reached by the end of the semester to give the new chair time to prepare over the summer for the upcoming fall semester