Spotlight on Reading/Writing: Sandy Hudock

The TODAY’s Spotlight on Reading/Writing features CSU-Pueblo faculty, staff and students sharing their reading and writing experiences. The column is co-sponsored by the English and Foreign Languages Department and the English Club. This week’s feature highlights CSU-Pueblo librarian Sandy Hudock.

Name/department: Sandy Hudock, CSU-Pueblo librarian

shudock.jpgEducational background: M.A. in English with a creative writing emphasis from CSU, M.S.L.S. from the University of Kentucky, and a bachelor’s degree in English with a philosophy minor from Gordon College.

What has been your greatest success in writing? (Personal writing, collaborative writing, completing a project or book, etc.): Although I’m happy with my thesis, a collection of poems called “Making Restitution,” I really enjoyed researching and writing an ecocritical paper about a character in Virgina Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway. It’s published in the 2007 Proceedings of the Society for the Interdisciplinary Study of Social Imagery (fondly known as the SISSI Conference). Other than that, I thrive on rejection letters from poetry magazines!

What do you struggle with in writing and how do you tackle that challenge? Discipline, discipline, discipline! Sitting down regularly and writing. I think of stuff when I run, and that ‘s a good creative process for me–the rhythm of words and feet combined.

What’s your favorite book of all time? Author? “Housekeeping” by Marilynne Robinson. She writes beautifully of loss and those simple, transcendent moments we all experience.

What are you currently reading? Author? “Nature Noir” by Jordan Fisher Smith, and “The Triggering Town” by Richard Hugo who says about writing poetry: “If you want to communicate, use a phone.”

What’s your favorite guilty reading pleasure, an easy “beach” read? Jonathan Kellerman mysteries! He’s intelligent and funny.

Do you have a favorite word or quotation, and who is the author? The poet Mary Oliver told a friend of mine, “All that we have left is to be kind.”

View Comments (1)