Safety concerns aired at ASG meeting

Questions about why the extra blue sticker must be attached to students’ handicapped stickers – along with separate safety concerns – were voiced during this week’s Associated Students’ Government meeting on Tuesday.

Samantha Hernandez from the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office at CSU-Pueblo said that the stickers were necessary because “students who park in a handicapped place at the university are not always handicapped and it used to be a problem. Not all students who are handicapped are eligible for state handicap placards.”

Student Shannon Bevans also brought up the issue of bad lighting by the water towers by the dorms. Bevans said she had a friend park there and her friend felt threatened. Hernandez said she would check into the progress of the lighting getting fixed.

President David Fresquez talked about ASG’s many accomplishments over the past four months. Some of the accomplishments that were accomplished include the formation of the SOF committee, being more spread throughout the campus and bringing the New York Times to campus. He also encouraged the ASG to stay motivated and they will continue to keep getting things accomplished.

Leighann Hardwick noticed that the trash cans around the Belmont Residence Hall were overflowing when she visited there. “It is overwhelming and does not give outsiders a good impression of our university,” she said.

Hardwick also went on a safety walk which she said was very informative and she would like to see the blue lights on call boxes changed to red so they will be better seen at night.
    She also said she would like to see the campus be smoke free. “There needs to be more smoke-free areas around campus,” Hardwick said.

Student Concern Forms are still being worked on and the ASG discussed what these forms should be put in after a student fills them out.

Justin Menu said that the Lamda Chi fraternity received 14,000 lbs. of food for their food drive and thinks that the ASG should recognize them for this achievement. He saw plaques around the school from the ASG recognizing other clubs for their big achievements in the past and thinks they should keep this going.

Dean of Studetn Life Zav Dadabhoy said he thought the plaques were a “brilliant idea” and that this idea should be brought up at the SOF committee meeting.

Steven Trujillo said that there was a complaint about the “closed door meeting” that happened before the Oct. 21 meeting. He said that no meeting should be behind closed doors and that these issues should be brought up in the regular scheduled meeting.

Tiaanna Tonray was voted in as the Senator of Recreational Affairs.

Instead of having a meeting next week the ASG will be having dinner at Manhattan’s Pizza.

The Nov. 18 meeting will be held in the BRH to encourage more students to show up.

View Comments (1)