Thunderwolves outlast Grizzlies

The Thunderbowl was packed for Saturday's Pink Out game against Adams State.
The Thunderbowl was packed for Saturday’s Pink Out game against Adams State.

Colorado State University-Pueblo entered the Thunderbowl for Saturday’s Pink Out game on a 40 game, regular season, winning streak and were expected to beat Adams State University easily, but the Grizzlies, who were 1-3 on the season, were not going out without a fight and made CSU-Pueblo earn its 17-7 win.

For the first 36 minutes of the game, it was a tough night offensively for both squads. The defenses for both sides were swarming the ball and very physical.

Sooner or later someone had to break, and it was the Grizzlies defense when Thunderwolves’ quarterback Chris Bonner hit J.B. Mathews for a 32 yard touchdown pass to take a 7-0 lead with nine minutes left in the third quarter.

The Grizzlies would eventually answer, scoring before the third quarter ended on an Addie Brown, 32 yard touchdown run to tie the game. Along with the touchdown, Brown finished with 78 yards on 12 carries.

The Thunderwolves would take the lead in the 4th quarter when Greg O’Donnell hit a 49 yard field-goal making the score 10-7.

Prior to the field goal, O’Donnell missed his first four kicks. After the game, Head Coach John Wristen said, “I had confidence in him,” referring to O’Donnell.

The Thunderwolves sealed the victory when their workhorse, Cameron McDondle, who had 32 carries and 190 yards, scored on a 1 yard touchdown run to give CSU-Pueblo a 17-7 lead with three minutes left.

The Grizzlies tried to push back, but the Thunderwolves sealed the win with a 40 yard interception from Ben Estica.

CSU-Pueblo moved to 5-0 on the season, and their regular season, winning streak rose to 41 games. The Thunderwolves will hit the road next week and travel to Fort Lewis in Durango, returning to Pueblo for Homecoming against Chadron State on Oct. 18.

The next three home games will be televised live on Altitude Sports.