CSU-Pueblo Homecoming 2016 kick-off is Oct.12

Homecoming 2016 ~ image courtesy of
Homecoming 2016 ~ image courtesy of
Homecoming 2016 ~ image courtesy of
Homecoming 2016 ~ image courtesy of csupueblo.edu

Before homecoming became a popular event for high schoolers, it was an event that brought alumni back to university campuses to celebrate football.

Colorado State University-Pueblo will kick off its Homecoming 2016 activities Oct. 12. The event will close Oct. 16 with the Alumni/Parent Brunch at 10 a.m.

Starting a new tradition, CSU-Pueblo Homecoming 2016 has been combined with Parent & Family Weekend, so not only is the celebration for students, faculty and alumni, but for families also.

Jessica Rein, graduate assistant for Student Engagement and Leadership said the cooperation of so many departments including SEAL, intramurals and alumni to make this event happen is how things should be since “we’re all one campus and should be working together.”

Gearing up for the ThunderWolves football game versus Fort Lewis, select students will be campaigning for the vote of their peers. This year’s royalty candidates include seven women and men. Applicants go through interviews with alumni, professors, and other CSU-Pueblo staff member Oct. 7, and will start campaigning Oct. 10.

Female royalty contenders include:

Baily Bair: health promotion and wellness
Anna Jordan: mathematics
Emma Paulson: mass communications
Jordan Cushman: sociology/criminology
Taylor Jacobson: psychology
Yamile (Jam) Ingles: nursing
Fredlina (Freddy) Atencio: mass communications

Male royalty contenders include:

Favian Arredondo: AIM, accounting
Timothy Pigott: MBA
Anthony Schievelbein: psychology
Jeremey VanGelder: music education
Jordan Moniz: sociology/criminology
Anthony Ball: business management
Rogelio Arreguin-Mancera: construction management, Spanish

Students will be able to vote for their choice for Homecoming King and Homecoming Queen on Thursday between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. There will be paper ballots available in the LARC or students can access a link on PackLink to vote. The top four females and males will be announced on Friday during the Howlin’ House Party.

Jessica Rein said being crowned royalty isn’t just a popularity contest. The candidates go through interviews, their GPAs are examined, their campus and community involvement is considered, and their school spirit is accounted for in narrowing down contenders for the crowns.

After being crowned, the homecoming king and queen will remain role models until they pass their crowns over to the next year’s royalty. Nicole Hulet and Jonothan Stephenson, 2015 royalty, will join this year’s nominees on the football field during halftime to announce the new royal duo, who will attend various campus and community events as they represent CSU-Pueblo.

Homecoming is more than just the royalty, though. Tracy Samora, director of alumni relations, said homecoming is the “backbone behind alumni engagement.” She said the foundation office awards financial aid to various departments to encourage alumni involvement in the programs they were involved in.

The marching band is one program that has benefited from this relationship. Alumni who did marching band can join current students in practice and on the field at the football game. The forensics and debate team also hold an alumni event, which pits current students against alumni in a debate.

Some of the new recipients of this partnership include the President’s Leadership Program and Enactus. Also new to the even line up for homecoming is Give Day Oct. 13, which is a push to get donations for CSU-Pueblo.

The entire lineup for the I Love CSU-Pueblo Homecoming 2016 can be found at www.csupueblo.edu

Any additional questions can be directed to Alumni Relations Director Tracy Samora at 719.549.2858 or [email protected].

Edtied by: Theresa Wolf