Distinguished Speaker Series: Joel Epstein educates and enlightens CSU-Pueblo audience

Joel Epstein ~ image courtesy of csupueblo.edu

Colorado State University–Pueblo welcomed founder and CEO of Friction Factor Joel Epstein to the Occhiato University Center Ballroom Oct. 4. The event was attended by 55 people ranging from students to faculty and community members.

Epstein holds various seminars and workshops for corporations in the United States. Topics include training, sales, management and leadership. Epstein has been active in helping others by speaking to them and giving them viable information that can change their social lives and careers.

When Joel Epstein was 27, he was named the youngest branch manager for SunTrust Mortgage. Soon he climbed the ladder and was recognized nationally in his profession for his accomplishments.

“The most stressful part of life is buying a house, that is when I see people let themselves go,” Epstein said.

He has worked with helping others learn to control their egos and get people on the right path to success personally and professionally. Through his life experiences, he has learned to deal with out-of-control egos and how to help everyone in stressful situations.

During his talk, Epstein covered parts of his book that are the major key concepts he believes that everyone should understand. These three things consist of knowing the finish line, never returning fire, and “give ’em a cookie,” he said.

The main people to watch for, the “one-upper,” the “but man” and the “nodders,” said Epstein. These are all very dangerous people to be and to be around, he said.

He first talked about the “one-upper,” a person who tries to seem just a little bit better than everyone else.  No one likes the “one-upper.”

“More often than not people will stop talking about good things in their lives if the ‘one-upper’ is around because they have less affirmation that someone was listening,” said Epstein.

Then there is the “but man.” Epstein said the “but man” is someone you need to boot out of your life. These are the people who have excuses for everything. An example he used was, “My son could have gotten into Harvard, but he had a hangnail and couldn’t do his essay.” Epstein emphasized on how making excused won’t make things happen.

Lastly, Epstein explained someone we all have been at dinner parties or work related events: “the nodder.”

“When Jim is talking his technical stuff about astrology, and I am just nodding along he is going to think I know what he is talking about, even though I have no clue,” said Epstein.

He mentioned it could be embarrassing not to understand a concept,  but it is more uncomfortable to listen with a blank expression.

Epstein ended the event with book signings and chatting with people who had questions. He stood with people discussing his real life scenarios that have helped him develop his book.
Edited by: Zahria Rogers