Men’s soccer wins first game of the season

By Chris Graham

The Colorado State University – Pueblo men’s soccer team got their first win of the season with a 3-2 victory over the Regis Rangers at Gonzales stadium.

CSU-Pueblo Today Photo/ Wesley Padgett
Connor Marth a senior from Tulsa Oklahoma with the spin against the Orediggers.

Regis took an early lead with a goal by Oliver Haines that was assisted by Ryan Ebert, with just under 17 minutes into the game. The Rangers would hold that lead for most of the half until 13 seconds left.

Freshman Thunderwolf Brayden Ballman would score an unassisted goal right before halftime to tie the game 1-1. That happened to be Ballman’s first goal of the season.

“Brayden’s goal was a big lift going into halftime,” said Thunderwolves head soccer coach Roy Stanley, “Regis had most of the play and scoring against the run of play was great.”

The Pack would take that momentum into the second half as seven minutes into the second half sophomore Miles Sanchez would score an unassisted goal. This was also Sanchez’s first goal of the season.

Sophomore Cameron Campbell 18 minutes later would extend the lead with a goal to make the score 3-1. Campbell was assisted by senior Connor Marth.

One of the highlight plays was on a Regis penalty kick. Regis’s Porter Milner shot a penalty kick into the right bottom corner of the goal but goalkeeper Tyler Harvey makes a diving block. This came seconds after the goal by Campbell.

Eight minutes later Regis attempted a comeback by shortening the lead by scoring another goal. The goal was scored by Haines giving him both of Regis’s goals. The assist came from Colton Hefty.

The Thunderwolves defense would hold the Rangers back for the remaining minutes and the game would end with a 3-2 ThunderWolf victory.

CSU-Pueblo Today Photo/ Wesley Padgett
Lewis Chambers with the clearance header for the pack.

“With gibing up the Regis second goal, I’m glad my guys still believed that we could pull out the win,” said Stanley, “Guys could have doubt after that Regis second goal, but they played things smart and kept believing.”

Harvey would end the day saving five of the Rangers seven shots on goal. The Thunderwolves only had four shots on goal but three of them went in. Redshirt-freshman Joe McKee had the other shot on goal. Regis had 11 total shots while the Thunderwolves had five total shots.

“Tyler did fine in the first half but really came up big in the second half with saving the penalty kick and controlling his box,” said Stanley, “His distribution was also very good especially his goal kicks and taking the free kicks inside his area.”

The game started three hours later due to some vehicle problems by the visitors of the women’s soccer game that played before the men’s game.

This brings the Thunderwolves record to 1-7 and 1-3 in the RMAC. While the loss drops Regis to 3-3 and 1-3 in the RMAC.

“We needed this win primarily to give us belief that we are still in the hunt for the top 6 in the RMAC,” said Stanley, “Things are still wide-open with the top 6, and this win keeps us in the hunt.”

The Thunderwolves will stay at home to play University of Colorado – Colorado Springs Friday at 7 p.m.