Pardigras 2023

Pardigras+was+held+at+the+OSC+Ballroom.+Photo+by+Holly+Ward.+
Pardigras was held at the OSC Ballroom. Photo by Holly Ward.

By Holly Ward

For the second year, Colorado State University Pueblo’s Associated Students’ Government (ASG) hosted Pardigras in the Occhiato Student Center (OSC) on Saturday, March 11, 2023.

ASG’s Pardigras is a Mardi Gras-themed cocktail party for students to gather and dance, listen to music, eat and enjoy some drinks. The dance lasted from 8 p.m. to midnight and saw over 160 people.

ASG’s Student Body President, Mikayla Lerch, said, “I am so happy about the turnout. I love creating an environment for students to have fun and create memorable experiences on campus.”

Lerch’s younger brother, Garrett Lerch, is a senator for the university’s College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS). “There were a lot of preparations that had to be made for this event, including booking the DJ, the venue, the food and drinks, as well as getting all the decorations ordered and set up. On top of this, we also had to prepare flyers and Instagram posts in order to get the word out to students and the community,” Garrett said.

ASG set up a table outside the cafeteria in the main lobby of the OSC during the week before to advertise their event and sell tickets. The event was open to students and non-students for $10 a ticket. Tickets were sold online through the university’s ticket web portal or attendees could buy them at the door. On the event night, the ticket sellers offered people plastic beads and Mardi Gras-themed face masks to add to their outfits. Most people wore formal wear, but it was not a requirement for entrance. 

“Putting these events on for students is important for ASG because part of what we stand for is serving students. Pardigras is one of the many events that aim to give students a night to remember,” Garrett said.

When people entered the event in the lobby area outside the ballroom, there was a cash bar and a photo background. The venue was decorated with green, purple and yellow beads, feathers and streamers. There were also a variety of punches and other non-alcoholic flavored beverages at the dance.

CSU Pueblo student Kari Mosier said, “I had an amazing time at Pardigras. I did not have a senior prom due to COVID, and it was really nice still getting to experience a dance like that. My friends came over, and we got ready, and we all went together like it was our senior prom.”

Pardigras has concluded the events that ASG puts on for the year. ASG is preparing for the upcoming elections for next year’s student government.

“The debate will be the best part to watch on March 29,” Mikayla said.

Those interested in the upcoming ASG elections can find more information through the posted flyers around campus or visit ASG’s office located in the OSC, Room 108.