Student leaders grow their skills at annual conference

Photo courtesy of Sarah Zarr
Photo courtesy of Sarah Zarr

Students from Colorado State University-Pueblo flocked to the Student Leadership Experience Conference in Westminster on Jan. 7 to participate in the three days of leadership growth activities.

The conference, which takes place annually before each spring semester, has been going on for six years.

The Student Leadership Experience Conference is “an event to articulate values, qualities, and skill important to leadership positions,” said senior attendee Sydney McIntyre.

The conference is three days full of leadership lessons, friendship building and interactive leadership activities that help students find out more about themselves, the campus and leadership.

Not only was the conference held to provide student with knowledge that they can utilize in their years through college and careers following, but it also helped students build strong relationships with the individuals in the world with them.

Sarah Zarr, an employee of Student Engagement and Leadership and a member of the planning committee for the conference, is enthusiastic about conference.

“The theme of the Student Leadership Experience was ‘Ignite Inclusion’ and so we learned a lot about living and leading in a diverse world,” she said.

“It really opened my eyes up to different considerations when working in a diverse world and was so cool to hear so many perspectives from different students.”

McIntyre said she was pleased to be surrounded by like-minded student leaders.

“I met students that have the same passion of success as I do. As I was surrounded by these individuals for the three days, the experience ignited a craving to leave a lasting impression with the university and to get as involved as I could before I graduate,” she said.

Zarr has attended the conference before and plans to return next year.

“It is a great conference for Student Organization leaders to attend to recruit and network and learn to lead effectively and is applicable to any major and student who wants a great three days of self-discovery and fun,” she said.

“This is my second Student Leadership Experience and next year will be my third because I will not miss another opportunity to go.”

Zarr also said other students were positively impacted by the conference.

“The students who left the conference were excited and ready for the new semester and to make an impact at CSU-Pueblo and the world around them.”

“I can’t wait to see what each of the amazing students who took time out of their winter break do this semester and how they make positive change at CSU-Pueblo and in their future,” she said.

The seventh leadership conference will take place next January.