Students weigh in on Oscars night

Image courtesy of Oscars 2015
Image courtesy of Oscars 2015

The 87thAcademy Awards, the year’s biggest cultural celebration in the entertainment industry took place Sunday at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.

“Oscars provide opportunity to people related to the film industry to get a chance to get their work recognized,” said Alejandra Gutierrez, a sophomore Spanish and mass communications major at CSU-Pueblo. “If the nominees do not win the award, it also helps them to admire the winners and follow their footsteps for being an Academy Award winner.”

Known for being the biggest celebration of cinema in the world, this year’s Oscars were hosted by Neil Patrick Harris. The red carpet for the evening was filled with glittering stars and glamor. This year’s red carpet began three hours prior to the event.

Some major attractions on the red carpet who made news for their outstanding outfits were Jennifer Lopez, Dakota Johnson, Reese Witherspoon, and Jennifer Aniston. As for the men, Eddie Redmayne and Adam Levine were among the best dressed.

“I thought the red carpet outfits were amazing. Especially Dakota Johnston and Jennifer Lopez were my favorites,” said Marissa Munger, MBA student at CSU-Pueblo. “Eddie Redmayne also looked dashing in his blue attire!”

“Citizen Four” won the Oscar for best documentary feature; “The Phone Call” won the best live action short film, and “Feast” won the Oscar for best animated short film.

The Oscar for best visual effects went to “Interstellar,” whereas the “Grand Budapest Hotel” won for best make up and best original music score.

The movie most expected to win several awards for the evening, unfortunately received only one Academy Award. “American Sniper” received a single win in the sound editing category.

“I thought Bradley Cooper should have won best actor,” said Mike Marino, senior mass communications major at CSU-Pueblo and Colorado youth speaker. “He portrayed an American hero, something no one else could have done.”

Patricia Arquette walked away with the Oscar in the best supporting actress category, where as J.K. Simmons received the win for best supporting actor for his performance in the movie “Whiplash.”

“I liked Patricia Arquetta’s performance in ‘Boyhood,’” said Susann Husvik, a freshman art major at CSU-Pueblo for Norway. “All the awards she won this year are well deserved, and it was obvious she was going to win an Oscar as well. The Academy did justice by declaring her the winner.”

Eddie Redmayne, who portrayed Stephen Hawking in “The Theory of Everything,” was presented with the Oscar for best actor by Cate Blanchett, who received for best actress last year.

Julian Moore received the Academy Award in the best actress category for her performance in “Still Alice.” She was presented with the golden statue by Matthew McConaughey, who received the Oscar last year in the best actor category.

There were also musical performances by Lady Gaga and Adam Levine.

“The Oscars were so good and everyone looked fabulous,” said Alexsiss BreeAnna, senior sociology and criminology major at CSU-pueblo. “The Oscar tributes were also fantastic! Common and John Legend’s tribute to “Selma” was so inspirational and deep, and Lady Gaga’s tribute to Julie Andrews and the 50th anniversary of the “Sound of Music” was absolutely breath taking!”