Helpful tips for finals week

The library is a good place to study for finals. Photo by Dustin Cox
The library is a good place to study for finals.
Photo by Dustin Cox

Spring term finals week is just around the corner for students at Colorado State University-Pueblo, and it can be very stressful. Wrapping up the semester with studying and final projects can be frustrating, but coping with the frustration and preparing for finals is the key elements to surviving the week. Here are a few tips:

1.      Start planning

Studying without a plan can be a problem. It can cause distractions and take up valuable time trying to figure out what to study. Ahead of the week, plan the right time to study and have all the materials ready.

2.      Get started

Even for students who are usually organized with their school work, finals week can still be hectic. Instead of cramming the night before a test and working on assignments the night before the due date, take some time every day during the week to study and work on projects, so when due dates and tests come around, you will be prepared.

3.      Rest

When it comes to college, late nights are bound to occur. All-nighters can sometimes be inevitable. Students may feel inclined to stay up late to get enough studying in, but all the caffeine in the world cannot replace the feeling of getting a good night rest. A good night of sleep will help improve retention of information.

4.      Eat smart

Students tend to have unhealthy eating habits in college, but especially during the week of finals. With a limited amount of time, students tend to lean toward snacks and junk food. This overload of carbs can cause sleepiness and poor memory. Instead, choosing to eat nutritious foods will not only help with energy levels but will also help increase concentration.

5.      Take advantage of resources

Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Many colleges have sources to help students handle stress during finals week, and students should take advantage of them. Also, don’t hesitate to ask classmates or professors for help. Take advantage of study groups as different perspectives are good to be exposed to when learning certain material.

6.      Be confident

Maintain a positive mindset, and believe in yourself. Instead of worrying, taking a test with confidence will prove beneficial. Believe you can, and you will.

CSU-Pueblo will be offering services to help students during finals week. The office of Student Engagement and Leadership will be hosting a “Relaxation Station” Wednesday, April 29, from noon to 3 p.m. The event will feature food, massages, coloring and more.

Students can also take advantage of the many tutoring services that are offered at CSU-Pueblo. Information about tutoring services can be found at http://www.csupueblo.edu/tutoring/Pages/default.aspx.

Library hours will also be extended before and during finals week. Special hours at the CSU-Pueblo library will be:

Wednesday, April 22

7 a.m. – Midnight

Thursday, April 23

7 a.m. – Midnight

Friday, April 24

7 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Saturday, April 25

10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Sunday, April 26

1 p.m. – Midnight

Monday – Thursday, April 27-30

7 a.m. – Midnight

Friday, May 1

7 a.m. – 6 p.m.