From CSU Pueblo student to country star

Colorado State University Pueblo senior Cody Cozzolino used COVID-induced remote learning as an opportunity to launch his professional music career. [Courtesy image/Cody Cozzolino]

Cozzolino’s winding road from construction management major to global song stage

By Danielle Whitaker

CSU Pueblo senior and up-and-coming country music star Cody Cozzolino plays to the crowd during a 2021 concert. [Courtesy photo/Cody Cozzolio]

The administration and professors have worked with my schedule but I’ve kept them all in the loop as much as possible to stay up to speed in the classroom. So it has been great. CSUP has been great to me and this journey.
— Cody Cozzolino

The global coronavirus pandemic has fundamentally changed the course of countless. For Colorado State University Pueblo senior and up-and-coming country star Cody Cozzolino, life seems to have changed for the better.

During the push to online learning last year, the construction management major realized that he could get a lot of his courses done virtually at his own pace without ever having to step foot on campus.

When his “hidden talent” of singing and playing guitar began to turn into a full-time hobby, Cozzolino discovered that doing school remotely would give his schedule the flexibility to go to school and work on his craft at the same time.

How does he manage the logistics of attending classes while on tour?

“It definitely has been tricky,” Cozzolino said. “The administration and professors have worked with my schedule but I’ve kept them all in the loop as much as possible to stay up to speed in the classroom. So it has been great. CSUP has been great to me and this journey.”

From his first performance in June 2020 to now, Cozzolino has opened for “many talented pros that [he has] been a fan of for so long,” including: Josh Turner, Jon Pardi, Clay Walker, Craig Campell, Michael Ray, Matt Stell, Mitchell Tennpenny and Easton Corbin.

Cozzolio performs at THE STAGE in Nashville, Tennessee. [Courtesy image/Cody Cozzolino]
He has already performed to a sold-out crowd at Memorial Hall, on “THE STAGE” on music row in Nashville, Tennessee, and — coming this baseball season — Denver in both the Ball Arena and at Coors Field.

After being signed as a recording artist in Nashville, Cozzolino said his next steps are to finish recording his first extended play record, before going back on the road again, hopefully at least once to promote his first single, “On My Way,” which is scheduled to play on national level soon.

Despite the unexpected nature of his journey to fame, Cozzolino said his: “whole journey has been unbelievable. I’ve gotten the opportunity to do so many amazing things and meet so many incredible artists and I truly can’t believe it’s even happening. God is good and Pueblo, Colorado, is good.”

After graduation Cozzolino plans to move to Tennessee full-time before a whirlwind summer full of shows, music festivals and first international tour with artists Michael Ray, Love and Theft, Jerrod Neiman, Colby Caillat and Trent Tomlinson. 

*** See additional student spotlight: Meet your 2021 Homecoming Queen **