Ethnic Christmas open house successful year back in person

Photo by Hailee Langowski

By Madison Lira

Since the beginning of the pandemic, El Pueblo History Museum has not been able to hold its annual Ethnic Christmas open house in person.

However, on Friday, Dec. 2, the museum opened its doors to everyone in the community and welcomed them back to a night filled with different traditional food and live performances, experiencing the diverse cultures and traditions that make up our community.

Upon entering the museum’s front doors, various interactive booths greeted guests of all ages. 

On the left side were the Pueblo Rocks! group, where you could paint a Christmas-themed rock and put it out somewhere in the community or even give it to someone to cheer up their day. 

The booth next to them was a missionary group selling a couple of handmade gifts, and the proceeds they made from the event would go towards the missions they hold worldwide. 

The Pueblo Rocks! group aims to inspire others by placing the rocks in random spots around Pueblo and recruiting others to help spread the message of wanting to inspire others through random acts of kindness. 

Founded by Ryan and Char Hargis, Char mentions, “We have a big rock garden at Ray Aguilera Park, which was formerly Bessemer Park, and we just go out into the community, and everything we provide, we provide for free.” 

The Hargis’ also mentioned that they are looking for people to paint Christmas-themed rocks to give out to the Senior Resource Development Agency when they deliver meals to people in town. 

On the other side of those two booths were two others holding crafting sessions for anyone to participate. One activity was making God’s Eye, Ojos de Dios, which are ritual objects native to the Huichol, Indigenous people of Mexico. It serves as prayers for a good and long life, protection and abundance of crops. The other activity featured was a snowflake-cutting booth for anyone as well.

Featured at the Christmas event were live performances from Pueblo’s Grupo Folklorico Omawari and CSU Pueblo’s Ballet Folklorico dance group, who performed Folklórico de México, portraying traditional Mexican culture through its dancing, songs and costumes. The Russian Twist dance group performed traditional Russian Folk dances, and Alan Polivka, a musical dancer, performed Polka music.

Grupo Folklorico Omawari and CSU Pueblo’s Ballet Folklorico dance groups, coordinated and directed by Iskra Merino Martinez, discussed the significance of the event held for her and the community. 

“During this time, especially now with so many changes, I think that now diversity is being more appreciated, and this celebration in the El Pueblo History Museum is an example of how diverse Pueblo is. That it’s not only one culture, it’s more than one culture, more than just one country that has immigrated here, represented by our community.”

Martinez said she genuinely loves to see that with the event, the community is celebrating even more cultures, and embracing how diverse we are in Pueblo helps to make us stronger as a community. “I think that it is beautiful to have the students at the university, who usually stay on campus, to bring them here and see what we are and what Pueblo is.”

Martinez also commented on what the holiday season means to her, “It means family. It’s just a beautiful season where you can celebrate any religion or belief you have. With family, to be together and to have peace in your life, gathering and food. Everything that surrounds this beautiful season. I think that’s the most important thing.”

El Pueblo History Museum’s director, Dianne Archuleta, discussed how this Ethnic Christmas event helps bring the community of Pueblo together. 

“We feel like anyone from any background can come in tonight and find food, entertainment or an opportunity to learn something about another culture in our community,” she said. 

Expanding upon this, Archuleta said, “A lot of times that’s lost, I don’t think we understand each other’s cultures, and so this is an opportunity for learning and enjoying.”

The director of El Pueblo also shared what the holiday season means to her. She said it is about “gathering with my family and friends and appreciating all our time together.” Archuleta continues by saying, “It’s not about gift giving; it’s about the closeness that you feel during the holidays, so for me, it’s very special.” 

The night was a success with delicious food ranging from tamales to different assortments of cheeses and cookies from local businesses in Pueblo to the fantastic live performances and gifts to give each other during the holidays. Here’s to another year of having this Pueblo event in person again, as this showcased so many great traditions and cultures that Pueblo is proud to represent.