Listening to veteran voices on campus

Photo by Ted Robertson.

By Hailee Langowski

CSU Pueblo’s Rev 89 radio station introduces a new weekly air podcast! The Veterans Voice Project, originally based out of Colorado Springs, has recently announced a Pueblo host who is a more familiar face within the Media & Entertainment Department on campus. He is an Army Veteran, student, photojournalist, blogger, podcaster, radio host, KTSC Radio Operations Manager and President of the CSU Pueblo chapter of the Student Veterans of America. He is also known as Cassime Joseph. 

The radio broadcast and podcasts speak with Veterans about their stories, as well as services and resources available at Mt. Carmel Veterans Service Center Pueblo, CSU Pueblo and other agencies in the Pueblo community.

Veterans Voice is a project that began to serve as a branch for communicating the story of Mt. Carmel Veterans Service Center (Mt. Carmel). The center is a safe space created as a non-profit organization to serve and support Veterans, military members and their families. It works to help solve the problems of food insecurities, housing, finances, behavioral health and wellness, employment assistance and connection to community resources. 

The radio broadcast and podcasts want to inform the community at large and help expand its impact on the connective military community, such as active duty veterans, their families and people who can benefit from the services that Mt. Carmel offers. 

Media Outreach Coordinator for Mt. Carmel, Ted Robertson, is one of the creators and program executive producer for the Veterans Voice Project. He explained the radio broadcast and podcasts at its core highlight people from within Mt. Carmel operations who direct these efforts and services.  

“We have them tell the stories of what they do, how they do it, who they do it for and always ending with connection to the military connective community: here is how you engage with us in this particular service,” said Robertson. 

Veterans Voice also highlights military heroes, history stories, book authors and local veterans. They talk to authors that have written about history, including historical accounts of World War II stories that cannot be lost. 

The show also talks to people who Mt. Carmel has served in some way. Many individuals who have struggled with differing circumstances came to Mt. Carmel and have grown positively. Veterans Voice is an opportunity for people willing to share their stories “in the hope we are inspiring other people out there who may have similar problems, be in similar situations, to come through our doors and let us help them,” explained Robertson. 

Robertson says he admires Joseph because of the hardships he’s endured both within and outside the military that has driven him to explore the world and move forward. Because Joseph is a strong community member and a natural leader, he said, Joseph motivates this air to reach Pueblo. 

Joseph says it’s an honor to be the Pueblo host, and as an Army Veteran, he feels he continues to serve and support the Veteran community through the resources and services offered at Mt. Carmel. He feels passionate about addressing differing subjects in Pueblo, such as people experiencing homelessness and the mental health struggles many faces.

“If anyone or a Veteran hears my show and reaches out to Mt. Carmel to get connected and advised, that is an ultimate goal for me,” said Joseph. 

As the air broadcast and podcast grow with Joseph as Pueblo host, he plans to include video content to share various Veterans and their stories through different outlets. He also wants to integrate more students from Media & Entertainment to keep Veterans Voice’s legacy after Joseph graduates and help Veterans Voice expand in any way. 

Joseph explained, “Mt. Carmel services is the heart of Veterans Voice. The Veteran Service Center has an office in Pueblo at St. Mary Corwin Hospital in Suite 156. For more information, you can visit the office or on their website at veteranscenter.org.” 

Veterans Voice wants to expand and support media outlets in Colorado’s San Luis Valley and Western Slope. Future projects include cooperating with the Veteran Experience Office radio network to highlight Veterans Voice as one of the top 10 Veteran-themed podcasts in the country. Another venture they hope to partner on is scholarships to teach veterans how to use podcasting and audiobook technologies to launch their voice-over businesses.

The Veterans Voice will begin airing on Dec. 3rd on KTSC 89.5 The Revolution based on campus. Veterans Voice Pueblo will air Fridays at 9:00 a.m. with newly introduced Pueblo host Cassime Joseph. Remember to tune in!