A day of learning, connection, and celebration

B.VIGILDESIGN
Indigenous sacred drum circle involving community members at the end of the Earth Day: Indigenous Music & Arts Festival. Photo by Hailee Langowski. Círculo de Tambores Sagrados Indígenas en el que participaron miembros de la comunidad al finalizar el Festival de Música y Artes Indígenas por el Día de la Tierra. Foto por Hailee Langowski.

CORRECTION: The Earth Day: Indigenous Music & Arts Festival, Real Storytelling article, contained errors in the photo captions for the May print edition. The photo captions for the Real Storytelling article online are correct.

By Hailee Langowski 

On Saturday, April 22, El Pueblo History Museum hosted a family-friendly Earth Day: Indigenous Music & Arts Festival, a celebration of our home- Mother Earth, connection with local and regional artists through an artisan market, as well as performances of local Indigenous musical and dance groups. The free event was open to the public. While the day began with snowy weather, the Director of El Pueblo History Museum, Dianne Archuleta, reported that over 800 people walked through the doors that day. 

“In partnership with Storytellers of the Ancestral Red Road (SOAR), the Pueblo Levee Mural Project, and other generous sponsors and volunteers, we set out to host an event to celebrate Earth Day and all the ways in which we depend on it for life and sustainability, but also illustrate the talents of our local and statewide Indigenous community performers and artists,” said Archuleta. 

As the festival resumed indoors due to the cold weather, the artisan market followed throughout the museum’s main hallway, around the gift shop, and into sections of exhibits. Community organizations dedicated to Earth stewardship had information booths, opportunities to create a collaborative art piece, and various vendors constructed a space to share and support inspiration.

A local vendor at the festival was Bryan Rivera, part of Morning Star Creations Inc., a nonprofit organization whose mission is to “improve our city’s parks and river trail systems by creating fun for all age groups.” As they promoted their local art, jewelry, oils, and soaps, Rivera spoke about enhancing local skateparks and exercise equipment to get people outside and teach young community members endurance. 

“We felt there was a need for a skateboarding outlet here… We need more local skateparks for children that outgrow the plastic playground and equipment, then may not be active [outside] anymore. [Falling while] skateboarding, bicycling, or rollerblading can build character for young people,” said Rivera. 

Through the artisan market and leading to more extensive exhibits was the performer’s stage. The lineup of performers throughout the day included Opening Blessing: Eagle Bear (Thomas), Revolution of the Sun, Chela Lujan, Strange Love, Sam Gallegos – Rabbit Dance, Alan Poor Bear – Kiowa Dancer, Ed Kabootie & the Yoties from Arizona, and Sacred Earth Storytelling – Meral Jones. 

The day was full of life and music as people listened and danced to various performers. It was a joyful space to connect with the community and an enriching experience to learn and understand more from Indigenous leaders about culture, music, and stories. 

The festival also hosted presentations in the classrooms about earth education and connection. The EarthTalk presentations were live-streamed and can still be watched on The Today at CSU Pueblo Facebook page. 

Presentator, Paris Latka, gave a brief movement workshop about the effects of posture on our physical and mental well-being and advice on positioning your body to convey optimism and inner peace. 

Frank Cordova presented how the concept of “open source” may be applied to our individual and collective lives and how we live in a community with other people and both living and nonliving things.

Felicia Sanchez Garbizo presented transformational stories reminding us of how we are all connected and our beautiful Earth. Children gathered around Garbizo in anticipation and excitement to hear the sacred storytelling. 

Angelina Perez presented on healing with water and relationships, considering Colorado and regional water challenges and how our relationship to the living Earth might influence how we make decisions in the future about water policy and allocation. 

Archuleta states, “It was wonderful to see people getting to know our local artists and organizations who truly represent the diversity and strength of Pueblo. The music, laughter, and engaging performers made for a special day at El Pueblo History Museum and brought our community closer together.”

El Pueblo History Museum continues with community involvement as it recently opened a new photography exhibit called: Through the Lens: The Photography of Frank Muramoto. The museum will celebrate Cinco de Mayo for its next First Friday event with free admission. The Lunchbox food truck will serve street tacos and have a DJ playing music throughout the evening.