SPECIAL REPORT: A brief history of Title IX

Members of the cheer and dance teams celebrate the launch of the OverDrive Campaign in this March file photo. [Today photo/file/Jay Ramos]

By Kimmy Reinhardt

50 years ago on June 23, 1972, the world of education was changed forever as Title IX was signed into law amending the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Title IX prohibits discrimination based on sex within any publicly funded school system, including, but not limited, to women athletes in sports and students in classroom settings. This law was passed with the goal of allowing students to receive the same opportunities within their schooling and school-based extracurriculars, no matter their sex. 

While Title IX was implemented within all areas of the education field, it has become most well known for its importance in school sports. The law allows female students the same opportunity as their male peers. 

Schools had to be tested on their following of the law and ensure that they were offering options for students regardless of their sex. The institutions began having women’s and men’s sports teams to allow for the same opportunities, as well as allowing more female students to try out for men’s teams.

Now Title IX is not only known for how it applies to sports, but for its use to stop sexual harassment and assault within schools. Students are unable to receive the same opportunities for education, if they are having to experience and work in fear of sexual assault or harassment. 

Having these actions in place not only protects female students who experience sexual assault, but also male students in similar positions. 

Title IX has led to change in the educational field and more protection for students and faculty in publicly funded education over the last 50 years, and will allow for continued change for years to come. 

** See related:
Title IX still battling discrimination, 50 years later
History of Title IX from Women’s Sports Foundation*