Outdoor Pursuits Program hosts overnight trip to Black Canyon Sept. 16-17

Image courtesy of csupueblo.edu

Organizers of the Outdoor Pursuits Program at Colorado State University-Pueblo have arranged an overnight trip to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in Colorado for Sept. 16-17. The cost is $57 for students and $36 for CO-OP members.

The fee includes dinner on Friday, breakfast on Saturday, a guided hike into the canyon and camping and hiking permits.

OP Team Supervisor Nicole Hulet emphasized that students must procure their own equipment for the trip, which can be checked out at the OP Equipment Room in the Student Recreation Center.

Students can also purchase an OP CO-OP for a one-time fee of $40 per student per semester, which includes free outdoor gear rentals.

“This trip is one of our most unique trips in that we are hiking into a canyon, whereas normally we are going up mountains,” Hulet said.

“It’s a beautiful hike with a lot of waterfalls and a large river at the bottom. It is also a well-known climbing area, but we will be hiking the SOB Draw on the north rim of the canyon.”

Hulet suggests that more students should get involved with OP because of the positive impact it will have on their college experience.

“If you would have asked me three years ago if I thought I would be a supervisor leading a trip for the outdoor pursuits crew, I would have laughed,” she said.

“It is an environment where I can challenge myself as much as I want and challenge others also in their personal growth. I have learned so much through OP, and I love that there is always something new to learn and do.”

“Students can expect an epic trip if they decide to participate in the trip,” Hulet said.

For more information about equipment rental, please call 719-549-2091 at the rec center; for more information about the organization, students can visit http://www.csupueblo.edu/SR/OutdoorPursuits/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by: Theresa Wolf