Showing support for Sarcoidosis: Wearing purple for a good cause

The+Leno+and+Lorraine+Nogare+Memorial+Scholarship+plaque+is+displayed+in+the+entryway+of+the+Sarcoidosis+Awareness+Open+Gym+Fundraiser+hosted+at+Nogares+Gymnastics+Academy.+Photo+by+Ashlyn+Drury.+
The Leno and Lorraine Nogare Memorial Scholarship plaque is displayed in the entryway of the Sarcoidosis Awareness Open Gym Fundraiser hosted at Nogare’s Gymnastics Academy. Photo by Ashlyn Drury.

By Ashlyn Drury

Sarcoidosis is an autoimmune disease that is unknown to many. There is currently no cure for this disease, and researchers are working to find the cause and ways to treat it. While those around may be unable to find a cure, raising awareness and educating others can help it become more known.

April is Sarcoidosis awareness month. As awareness month, sharing facts and information on the disease is very important. It is estimated that 170,000 people in the United States have been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. The symptoms of this disease vary from case to case, with 25% of cases affecting the eyes, 35-50% affecting the respiratory symptoms, 90% impacting the lungs and lymph nodes, and 25% of cases affecting the skin.

Sarcoidosis can affect people of all ages. However, 70% of those diagnosed are between the ages of 20 to 40. Anyone can develop the disease, but statistically speaking, it is found to be more common in African Americans and those of Scandinavian descent. While there is currently no cure, anti-inflammatory medications can be used to help symptoms. 

The awareness color of Sarcoidosis is purple, and a snowflake is used as a symbol to represent that not one single case is the exact same. For more information on Sarcoidosis, visit the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research at https://www.stopsarcoidosis.org/standupforsarc/.

On Sat., April 29, 2023, a Sarcoidosis Awareness and Fundraiser event was hosted at Nogare’s Gymnastics Academy. The event was an open gym, which allowed those who attended to play in the gym and have fun while supporting a good cause. The entry fee was $10 per person or $7 if they wore purple. 

Lorraine Nogare was a Pueblo native who was affected by Sarcoidosis. Sarcoidosis is an autoimmune disease that can affect any organism in one’s body. For Nogare, it impacted her lungs, causing her to be on oxygen 24/7. Nogare passed away in 2021, but her impact on the community continues.

The Leno and Lorraine Nogare Memorial Scholarship was created to award a graduating senior who has gone through Nogare’s Gymnastics Academy. All money raised from this event was donated to the Memorial Scholarship. Between entry fees and donations, over $300 was raised. The event was very successful and an enjoyable way to bring awareness to Sarcoidosis during National Sarcoidosis Month.