Pigskin classic: a Pueblo kid’s dream

By Ashlyn Drury 

Pueblo West and Pueblo County go head to head in the 20th Pigskin Classic game hosted at the CSU Pueblo Thunderbowl Stadium. 

On Friday, September 2nd, 2022, fans filled the stadium for the game of the year. This game wasn’t just a standard game under Friday night lights; this was the Pigskin Classic. 

Three football games in Pueblo draw fans in from all sides of town; the Cannon Game, the Bell Game, and the Pigskin Classic. It is an honor, a goal and a dream for Pueblo athletes to participate in these traditions. 

Jacob Trader, 17, is one of those athletes. Trader is a starting senior from Pueblo West High School who plays running back and linebacker. 

Trader has been playing the sport of football since he was six years old. Playing four years at Pueblo West, it took him two years before he stepped foot on the field during a Pigskin Classic. This is Trader’s second year taking part in the Pueblo tradition. 

In an interview before the game, Trader said, with Gage Martinez, “Our pass game should be good, and it will be a great game overall.” 

His words were correct. With an ending score of 41-7, Trader had 120 all-purpose yards, two rushing touchdowns, one receiving touchdown and seven tackles. 

“To me, playing in the Pigskin is a fun game between two rivals that have been going on for years.” Trader states. “Having the chance to lead the cyclones to a victory against such a rivalry feels great.” 

Helping Pueblo West win their 7th consecutive Pigskin Classic, Trader states, “Playing in my last Pigskin will definitely be something I won’t forget.” 

Trader is one of Pueblo’s strongest players, and he showed that in both weeks and last week’s matchups. Trader is excited to see what else he accomplishes in his last season as a Cyclone.