Pueblo Community Ofrendas

By Hailee Langowski.

Día de los Muertos reunites deceased relatives and loved ones with the living world. The festivals on this day are a mixture of many cultures that influence Mexican culture, including Native peoples, European religion and Spanish culture.  

Celebrations include food, drink, music, flowers and fireworks through Oct. 31 – Nov. 2. Families make ofrendas, or altars, at home or at a relative’s gravesite.

In the Pueblo community, the city library districts and El Pueblo History Museum provided community ofrendas for those celebrating Día de los Muertos. 

Patrick A. Lucero Library located at 1315 E. 7th St created a community ofrenda by Valarie Sanchez, a customer service representative. The ofrenda gave the opportunity for people in the community to bring photos of their passed loved ones as the library made a color copy to go on the ofrenda. 

“We have a lot of community members that came and brought their pictures and of course, our staff have come and added to [the ofrenda],” said Sanchez. “For people who don’t understand or know, we have a lot of different books [and other media] that the library has to offer to help bring awareness to our community”

El Pueblo History Museum held its annual Día de los Muertos community celebration on Nov. 2. Starting at 5 pm, local artists performed and cultural activities occurred including crafting paper flowers, decorating sugar skulls and creating luminarias, which were used to decorate the community ofrenda and entranceway at night. 

El Pueblo History Museum director Dianne Archuleta remarked, “We create a community altar every year in the month of October so that families in the community can come, place pictures and write letters to loved ones who have passed. This isn’t an occasion to mourn, but an occasion to celebrate life.”